Monday, April 2, 2012

Spring snowboarding

I used up lieu time from work to come down to Calgary and go snowboarding with Marcena! Super exciting!  Came down on thursday and went to see my old roommate Ashley from university. I wish we coulda hung out more but she had school obligations and I had little time :( 
Friday morning Marcena, her friend Chelsea and I drove out to Sunshine for a day of snowboarding. The drive was nice but by the time we got there, the weather was atrocious! It was non stop snowing, at one point hailing. The wind at the top of Standish was unreal! I was super nervous at first. I took a snowboarding lesson in grade 8, but that was just one, and I've never been snowboarding since. It was pretty adventurous of me to go again without a lesson in 10+ years. But... I did it anyways.
Getting off the chair lift was terrifying, but I never fell getting off!! First good sign. Made it down without hurting myself - second good sign. The rest of the day went smoothly, minus the awful weather.
After a day of big falls and somersaults down the various runs, my wrists really hurt, but it was a very successful day and I was so pleased with myself! Turning on to my toe was probably the hardest part, and I questioned the direction I chose to ride, both felt pretty comfortable. I've realized I get unsure over my handedness in lots of things. The snowboarding I was certain I was goofy cause of skating, when I got up there I wasnt sure... and even after a couple runs I was unsure... but i stuck with it, I rotate to the right in skating, sooo turning to the right only makes sense.
That was a lot of rambling.
We stayed the night in Canmore, then headed out to Lake Louise the next day. We got stuck behind a car accident for a good hour which cut into our time on the hill. When we got there, it was beautiful and sunny! The runs were a lot longer there, I liked that. Cause all three of us are beginningers, and Marcena and Chelsea had been there before, we only stayed on a couple runs they were familiar with. I say that was the one drawback from skiing. I could go all over skiing!
My shoulders, forearms and neck were really sore, so I only did a couple runs - probably for the best, it was packed there and the snow picked up so it was hard for me to read the snow and i was getting more and more nervous over falling because I was so sore. All in all it was a great couple days! It was really nice to go with others who are also beginners. I'm sure if I was skiing it wouldnt have been as fun cause I would have been doing runs alone. I cannot wait to come back next year!!

Came back to Calgary Saturday night and didnt meet up with anyone I had planned to, haha, Marcena and I just vegged out because of exhaustion. On Sunday I met up with Ben for lunch, then Marcena and I biked to the zoo to see penguins! We saw everything except penguins as we missed the last line by 5 min - we stopped to get hot chocolates and a penguin cookie. Drat. But it was still fun! They had glass walls of flutterby  pupas and cacoons, some were emerging while we were there - bugs are cool!
We spent the rest of the night watching Mad Men and Game of Thrones - nerds.
Off to California in the morning!

No comments: