Saturday, April 7, 2012

San Francisco

Arrived in San Fran on Thursday night, walked around and had sushi for supper. It was goood. I've only ever had sushi at home, so this was a treat! It came covered in roe which I wasn't expecting, but thoroughly enjoyed. We also accidently ordered random veggies tempuraed, which was also really good, minus the catelope, man I do not like cantelope. But that's besides the point.
Full House
We did one of those standard big city bus tours, and it was so sunny out that dad and I both burnt our faces! We took the bus all over - I'm amazed at hoe visually appealling San Fran is, and it's all clean! The houses are so colourful, they actually remind me of parts of St. John's, and therefore I could see myself living here. Ha. I really think that this city is nice though - similar to my admiration of Budapest. Not for for historic reasons, but visual.
The bus tour took us to the Japanese gardens (did you know that San Fran invented the fortune cookie for a fair!? - I know its nothing related to the Japanese gardens) the fisherman's warf where we saw sea lions, to the Full House houses, across the golden gate bridge and just all around the downtown core.Once I again I want to say how pretty this city is!
Last night we went to an Oakland Atheltics game, their homeopener against Seattle. They lost bad.
The game however reaffirmed my descision that if I ever moved somewhere that had a home team in a pro sport I would try and get season tickets. I think baseball is boring, but watching in person is always a good time. Dad even got me a hat to wear for the night :) Plus I got to rack up two new teams to my MLB viewing record. Pus I like how everyone is so into their team and all decked out in their team clothing/colours.
Today we road the cable cars - pretty much like the bus. Maybe if I had road in the open part, or stood on the edge, I would have enjoyed it a little more? It just felt like an old crowded bus. Walked around the warf area again. Checked China Town, which I enjoyed! They had paper lantern things strung across the streets, the buildings were brightly coloured and everything was cheap! I got a beautiful scarf, and I probably could have bought more... but I restrained myself.
Floating sushi
Lunch consisted of more sushi! Thought dad would want Chinese food, since we were in China town (and I feel like it would be great here - I equal San Fran to the American Van City). Anyways, it was a sushi bar that had floating boats from which you could pick which ever ones you wanted as they floated by, I loved it! They selection wasnt as varied as at home, but... it was more fun to eat! There was also random jello and hotdogs in  dough floating around too. I spent the rest of the day shopping - terrible thing to say, but there were great deals! Thank you Easter.
Speaking of Easter, it's not a holiday in the states. Both Good Friday or Easter Monday. I find this super strange considering how religious America is and because just today I heard people preaching on the side walk about how Jesus is my friend and He will save me and that the American public is going to hell in a hand basket. Blah blah blah.
All in all this was a fantastic trip. I would love to come back here, and I must say that as of right now I think it is better than NOLA. Maybe it's just the weather, or I felt like I did more, or that it is just prettier. I dont know. But I'm sure glad I came :)

No comments: