Monday, September 17, 2012

Done with the east coast

Well, I am moving westward now - left Newfoundland on Saturday via Nova Scotia, making my way to Ontario this evening.

The last week at Granddads was pretty relaxing. I stuck it out indoors as Tropical Storm Leslie blew over. It was pretty uneventful in Central, just a lot of rain. St. John's got blown around so I am glad I missed out on that! Thursday Granddad and I drove out to Glover's Harbour to check out the life size replica of a giant squid which washed up on shore there in the 1800s. Hard to imagine that they swim in the ocean with us! Its tentacles measured up to 35ft long, with a body at 20ft long. I seriously reconsidered that swim I had in the morning! haha, nah, they're too big to make it in to the Exploits - or so I hope!

Saturday I flew into Halifax to visit Sean, Jacquline and baby Jacob for the weekend. It was a great time! They live in Wolfville, so I got to see the Annapolis Valley for the first time, very pretty. Sean was telling me that the area was a big shipping area during Loyalist times. Hard to imagine because the water was so low, thats because of causeways being built which caused more silt build up... or something like that.

Sunday we drove around and admired the area, and hit up a sunflower field maze. The same as a corn field maze, but with sunflowers. Pretty self-explainitory. Anyways, I was excited for this, and so was Jacq, sadly when we arrived and could barely see any flowers :( they were all going to seed, drooped over and wilting. It was still cool, but would have been sooooo much cooler had all the flowers not been dying. Another cool thing that Sean told me was that sunflowers are all tiny little flowers which make up the center, and those are what go to seed. The big yellow petals are actually leafs, not petals. Did not know this. That night we went out for a nice diner next to the bay, the tide was out and it was all mud. Super cool. It was like a liquid coulee. The diner was not only great, but it was eyeopening to what having a 11month old is like! Nearly impossible to dine with! Haha, I'm not knocking it, it was great.... but definitely a hand full and I am shocked they even suggested going out for supper.

Today my friend from Uni drove out and picked me up! We spent the afternoon driving around and walked out on one of the Acadian Dykes. Another engineering marvel!

No comments: