Saturday, June 26, 2010

Venice

It's been a while... what have I been at? Cailan, I and a girl we met from Saskatoon hiked Cinque Terre, breath takingly hard work.
Went to Tuoro sul Trasimeno on Wednesday to check out an archaeology dig which actually ended up being an ethnography class. Regardless it was good fun. I learnt how to congugate verbes in Italian and that made me feel good. I love languages.
Now we are in Venice! Spent the morning sunbathing at the pool at our campgrounds. Bad idea. Now I am solid red with blisters on my back. Damn.
Headed into town today, and I must say I am blow away! I really wasnt expecting too much. But I have been in awe all day. Pretty cool. It doesnt smelt like I had been warned and the water was a nice bluey green, compared to the water in Umbria which was dingey brown. We took a boat bus through the Grand Canal of town to St. Mark's square, drank the most expensive belinnis of my life and gazed through the Bascilica, which was beautiful. I love the gold mosaics of the East.
After we walked through a palace and dreamed of what it would have been like to have lived there and been so rich that we could have gold gilded and stucco ceilings in our own stairwells. Far from ever being proabable.
The rest of the day we spent walking over little bridges, admiring all the beautiful glass jewerly, and once again imagining that we could afford anything we wanted. The night ended with delicious wine, and of course, pasta. That is all I have lived on here.
I would move to Italy in a heart beat - fantastic food, great weather and wine all the time.

1 comment:

D said...

Frommer's best hot chocolate in Venice - Antica Pasticceria Inguanotto, Ponte del Lovo, San Marco