Monday, July 19, 2010

Bosne Hercegovine

Well time for a more detailed update...
Cailan and I left Dubrovnik on Friday, bound for Mostar in Hercegovina. What an amazing drive. So mountainous! And arid. I need to find out what the mountain range through here is.
Anyways Mostar was intriguing. It was the front line between Bosnian and Croatian armies. There are destroyed buildings all throughout Mostar, acording to the owner of where we stayed, there isn't enough money to tear them down and rebuild so they are just everywhere. Except in the old town. Which was completely reconstructed. It was super pretty, and it blows my mind how similar it is to Turkey! The bazars and markets sell all the same things!!
Then we bused on up to Sarajevo.
Holy crap, did I feel ignorant. I really have no grasp of world history after 1990....
My only image of Sarajevo in my mind was from a documentary-tv special I saw of all the figure skaters who medaled at the 84 olympics returning in 1995 to see their arena. Other than that, and sending winter clothes to children I had no real idea what was on the go during the Balkan war... Just that afterwards there were new countries.
We stayed in the old town and admired mosques... But being around +32 I had no desire to cover myself up. We saw buildings riddled with bullet holes and 'sarajevo roses' which are the mortar shell impacts on the roads and sidewalks, which apparently resemble roses.
Being so similar to Turkey, we went to a hookah bar or narghile bar. Ate traditional BiH food which is delicious! Listened to the imams call to prayers from all the mosques, and had our spirits read and decifered by this creeper retaurent owner who informed Cailan she had a nose like barabra strisand, to beware of my eyes and that we are both extremly unlucky...
Yesterday we went on a war tour and saw the tunnel they had dug under the aeroport to get supplies, where the Serbian army set up the snipers to fire on 'sniper alley' and so much more. Our guide had been 11 when it started and so interesting to hear first hand accounts. Unlike when I hear about WW1/WW2 where I can't put their face to events.

No comments: