Saturday, March 16, 2013

Last day of worlds :(

Hometown hero Kaetlyn Osmond
After the high of yesterday, I slept in this morning! Granted, the skating also started at a later time today.
I wanted to watch the women skate their practice sessions this morning because I gifted the tickets for the finals tonight to my cousin and her young daughter who is just starting to skate herself.
So, I really wanted to go this morning to see Yuna Kim, Kaetlyn Osmond, the three Japanese girls and the wildcards. The practice was everything I was hoping it to be, plus no one was in the front row!

We showed up when the ice dancers were still practicing so I went and snagged the first row seat in our section to watch Weaver and Poje finish the programme. Then came Virtue and Moir, Davis and White, and Pechalat and Bourzat! Watching in the front row was even more amazing  though I admit, ice dancing needs to be watched from afar to get the full affect. Sure it was grand to be right next to these amazing skaters - I could have high fived each other them when they passed by. The dances were fantastic, considering it was just practice.

The ladies practice was good, and the Italians skates were a thrill to see... if I was landing triples and made of money, hers are the skates I would have.
Watching Yuna, Mao Kanako and Carolina was great... and I am not a huge fan of the ladies skating... but the practice sure brought me over to their side. I will definitely following them leading up to the Olympics.

We had a little break between the practices and the beginning of the ice dance competition. The comments from the crowd around was was a litte more subdued, though still entirely on the negative side. Gilles and Poirier were doing supurb until there was a stumble in their twizzles :( They are so much fun to watch!
Weaver and Poje :)

Followed by Weaver and Poje, who also just had a great performance, mind you I heart their short dance, sooo much more than this long.
Virtue and Moir skated, phenomenal. Davis and White, phenomenal.
Sadly, the falter on Thursday prevented Virtue and Moir from being able to move into first, totally understandable though, the only real way would have been if Davis and White messed up.
I would like to add through how I HATE that the media is trying to make a big rivalry between the two teams. They train together all the time and are friends. Get over it.

Welcome to the ice!!
After we handed off the tickets to Lisa and Nicole at the Skate Canada tent, Kevin Reynolds, Duhamel and Radford and Moore-Towers and Moscovitch showed up for an autograph session, so not only did they get tickets to skating, but they also got all the autographs :) Mum and I stayed for a couple drinks there, but it wasn't what we expected. We thought we could watch it live there with commentary (which we were so dearly missing) and instead were treated to traditional Chinese dancing with the screens muted in the background. We decided then to go back to my Aunt and Uncles to watch in the comfort in a house, with wine, cookies and commentaries :)
Super impressed Yuna Kim pulled off the win, but not entirely surprised... more so surprised by how amazing Canada did in earning herself a top 10 finish at her first worlds and Canada achieving 2 spots at the Olympics!  If only nationals was in Western Canada next year... I'd definitely hit it up!


No comments: