Tuesday, March 12, 2013

World Figure Skating Championships

So, big trip of 2013 - World Figure Skating Championship in London.
I bought tickets to this a year ago and forked over big money. There was no way I was letting going to Worlds pass me by this year with such great talent! Top ranking Canadians in every category... eons since thats been the case. I have a place to stay and company to go with... so why wouldnt I go, right?
To make it even more enjoyable, I spent the past weekend with Jane and Eric before coming here. Very relaxing, a nice change from -30... and as always, great foods :)
Arrived in London yesterday and went straight into the arena - walking in to hear Kevin Reynolds short programme (love the music!) over the speakers. No way. Made out way to the ice to see Kevin, Patrick Chan and Max Aaron (also like his music).
I was sooo excited to make it to see them, totally unplanned as well. Mum and I then decided to scope out our seats for the rest of the week, I knew they were in a corner section of the lower bowl, but that was it because I didn't get to pick them, they were assigned. We started walking up the stairs and realised the alphabet was going the other direction... turns out we are in the 3rd freakin row!!!! Seriously. I cannot even being to explain how elated I am.
Duhamel/Radford twist lift
We spent the next few hours there ooohing and aaahing over the men's and ice dancing competetors, though exhaustion won over and we left early... also because word around the rink was none of the Canadians or Davis/White would be be practicing that night - I was really excited to see Gilles/Poirier. But we did see Tomas Verner, Brian Joubert and Plutawska/Gerber who I thoroughly enjoy.
Savchenko/Szolkowy death spiral
This morning I gave our tickets to my young cousin and her best friend to spend the day there while mum and I were off scoping out this house that they are eyeing up for a potential relocation down south. Beautiful house, in Woodstock? I find it an odd location, but great house! Once that was over with, we headed back to the rink to swap tickets with my cousin.
Perfect timing again! We showed up just as Canadian super stars Duhamel/Radford and Moore-Towers/Moscovitch took to the ice.
Wow.
Watching skating in person dosent compare to tv (mind you the commentary is great and seeing different angles is grand). Being right next to skaters landing triples is amazing. Let alone watching them do throwing jumps and twist!
Mao Asada entering triple axel
The Germans came up next and.... ahhh just amazing.
Our night ended after watching Kaetlyn Osmond, the American and Japanese women.
So far, after two half days of practices.... the tickets have paid for themselves in experience alone. I cannot wait until competition commences tomorrow - Pair's and Men's short programmes. Eep!

No comments: