Monday, March 18, 2013

Worlds recap

Well... skating withdraw has begun. I am so saddened that this week is over :(
This was an amazing week, I am so happy I decided to do this... all in all it was well worth the cost.

Definitely lucked out that I had a place to stay so I didn't need to pay for that or for most of my meals. I would love to go to another event like this - be it the Skate Canada, Skate America or worlds again. Nationals next year could be cool considering it's a big anniversary year in Ottawa. But staying in Ottawa would mean I have to actually pay for a place to stay, mind you the tickets would be considerably cheaper.

Yesterday, Lisa and Nicole brought back our tickets, all full of skaters autographs! Now I feel bad not getting Kurt Browning's, Mao Asada's or Liz Manley's to fill out the book. Shoot. That afternoon we headed back to the arena for the Champion's Gala. Super cool. All the winners came and stood in the audience, the bronze medalists were all next to us in the aisle. Hah I dont know if I have ever been so "star struck" before.

Kirsten and Dylan
The gala ( I think you can stream it on CBC)was so much fun, there were serious skates and fun skates like Javier Fernandez's and Moore-Towers and Moscovitch. Patrick Chan's was appropriately done with a hat.
One thing that stood out to me was that all the Canadian's except Andrei Rogozine didn't skate even though he placed higher overal than Gilles and Poirier. Don't get me wrong, Gilles and Poirier are delightful to watch! I just was curious how all the Canadians except him.
No matter, just an observation.
At the end Scott and Tessa thanked everyone for coming, and all the volunteers for their hard work. I thought that was really nice. After they all skated around and high fived and autographed the audience. If I was younger, I would have been right up there! But, meh. I might regret it later... but right now I'm not concerned.
All the champions!
Heading home today, sat next to a really nice lady on the flight from London, she was a coach for 33 years and had been asked to come coach in Yellowknife with a bonus isolation pay. She said she came up for a week during caribou carnival to check it out... but decided there was no way she could live there. hahaha. Now my flight to Edmonton is delayed, so I am sorting through the thousands of photos I took :)

Until my next trip - Wexford St. reunion in Calgary!

No comments: