Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Planning for May

Since I returned from Norway, I have had a super sore throat and I'm worried it might be strep. I sure hope it's not, and I sure hope I get better before tomorrow! Tomorrow is the big science fair at Cailan's school, where yours truly is judging. I also managed to  find, continuously, the flat spot on my head for headstands. Pretty soon I think I'll have them mastered, which is one of my goals while living here. 

The next few weeks are going to be pretty busy, and I am anxiously looking forward to it. 

This is a holiday weekend - WalpurgisnachtWalpurgisnacht is on April 30th and is a big party to welcome spring, like most holidays now, it's a Christian holiday that was merged with a pagan on. The the end of April was a pagan holiday to celebrate the arrival of spring and the return of the sun on May first. With the arrival of Christianity, it also became St. Walpurgis' saint day. Over the years the celebrations combined into one. Usually in fields and parks, there are big bonfires, music and singing and an all around good time. The fires are symbolic for the holiday, they burn them to keep off dead spirits that are walking around. Here in Örebro there is a big party on the University grounds, with live music and a large bbq. We might go to that or check out a big party in town on the streets and parks surrounding the castle. Sounds like a good time either way, I better be cured by then :( 
On the 6th, Cailan's friend Terry from home is coming to visit. I'll have company during the days! 
That Saturday we are going to a schnapps party where you have to make you're own schnapps. It's with the people who had the wine tasting a couple weeks ago so we'll see how long we last after they stop speaking English. Being that we three are Canadians, we're making a maple syrup drink with rye. Mind you it's not schnapps, but I don't think they'll mind too much, and it hasn't been sitting for four weeks, so hopefully it'll taste ok...? One of the girls who is going was telling us she is making a snake schnapps with this snake flavouring or liqueur. I didnt quite catch exactly what it was, but that her dad brought it over for her from the Philippines and it came in a bottle with a snake in it. Eep!
The week after that is another holiday - Ascension, and Cailan has time off work! All three of us are going to Stockholm for a couple days and then taking a cruise to Helsinki for the weekend! I'm really looking forward to that. I can't wait to have a sauna! 
Hopefully one of the following weekends, probably after Victoria Day at home, I'll head down to Ystad. There is one of the big Viking stone ships, Ale's stones, down there that I am dying to go see. 
All in all the next month is shaping up to look like a good one!

Last night we also planned our way down south come June. We'll be in either Italy or Greece by my birthday. Yes! Birthday on a beach!

No comments: